Re: RARA-AVIS: Hard-boiled music

From: Bill Hagen ( billha@ionet.net)
Date: 04 Apr 2000

Always enjoy the music threads: always wondered too whether the use of music in hard-boiled or noir wasn't as much the result of previous film use of music--gangster films, first, then 40s noir--so this is perhaps an instance of film influencing fiction. Whattya think? [that should alert pulp fiction historians out there]

Secondly, if music is so much a part of certain authors' work, perhaps their publishers should release CDs of the relevant pieces, say, when they release a collection or rerelease a series. How often I've wanted to hear just the piece being mentioned at the point it was mentioned, and not later, after I got the piece. I know--impossible, impossible. Still, an idea for some day in the future...or perhaps when an author's works are published on a CD ROM.

While I'm on music, can I ask one little off-topic question? Does anyone have any idea whether James Baldwin had a particular jazz piano piece in mind when he wrote "Sonny's Blues"? His description of the piece Sonny plays is so vivid, I keep thinking it HAS to exist somewhere. I know there are some big jazz fans on this list. Open to any ideas or guesses.

Bill Hagen
< billha@ionet.net>