RARA-AVIS: Kent Harrington

From: T.Kent Morgan ( tkmorgan@escape.ca)
Date: 04 Apr 2000

The blurb below is from Dennis McMillan's ad in the April issue of Firsts. This issue is a mystery issue that includes an article on Raymond Chandler and a checklist of first editions.

The American Boys by Kent Harrington. The long-awaited (by connoisseurs of noir fiction) third novel by the author of Dark Ride and Dia de los Muertos. Set free at last into the dark night of our collective soul. Read an excerpt on my website at dennismcmillan.com. May publication. Trade hardcover, 2,000 copies. $30.

I read Dark Ride when it was published in 1996 and gave it three-and-one-half stars against my top rating of four. In a mini-review for a friend who is a book reviewer, I said, "I've read the story before, but Harrington manages some nice twists and turns in a plot that revolves around sex, money and perversion."

I did try to pull up the excerpt on The American Boys, but couldn't get it to open. McMillan also mentions in the ad that he will be publishing an unnamed James Crumley novel this year.

Kent Morgan in Winnipeg