RARA-AVIS: Re: Gores, DougPlugs, Elmore, Melons

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@colba.net)
Date: 04 Apr 2000

Mark wrote:

>It's been forever since I read Interface, so I'll refrain from directly
>commenting until I get around to re-reading it. However, Bill asked for
>suggestions for other Gores books to read.
>
>The early DKA File books, pre-Interface, are good solid genre pieces,
>with great details from a former PI. 32 Cadillacs is much later, with a
>lot of books (only a few of them DKA) in between. It is the only DKA
>book played for humor. I'm normally like you, Bill, humor usually
>doesn't do much for me in hardboiled unless it is very dark indeed.
>The Dortmunder gang's cameo
>appearance aside, 32 Cadillacs is absolutely hilarious (Parker makes a
>brief appearance in an early DKA book). I enjoyed it from start to
>finish and consider it one of my favorites of Gores' books.
>
>A lot of his one-shots like Menaced Assassin and Dead Man are also good,
>but I'd start with the DKA books. It is a very solid series.

As for Gore, may I suggest his DKA short stories? They're almost impossible to find now, but they're absolutely great, absolutely worth hunting down. I think there's twelve of 'em, published over the years in AHMM, EQMM, maybe a few other digests and various-author anthologies, conveniently numbered File #1, File #2, File #3 and so on. They run the gamut from short dark blasts to light humour, but my favourite is the Christmas/Hammett/Dickens tribute.

Or, if you can hold on for a bit, they're all being published together, at long last, later this year, in a collection by Crippen & Landru. I'm probably as jazzed up about this as the new Ross Macdonald stories they've dug up.

There ya go, Doug. A free plug.

And Vicky, you sure know how to pick 'em. Try Leonard's UNKNOWN MAN
#89 or HOMBRE or LaBRAVA or STICK or maybe PRONTO. And am I the only one who got a kick out of MR. MAJESTYK? The best hardboiled book about watermelons I've ever read. And the movie ain't too bad either.

I jus' wanna get my melons....

Kevin Burton Smith The Thrilling Detective Web Site http://www.colba.net/~kvnsmith/thrillingdetective/ This month: The P.I. Poll on Short Fiction, plus new stuff from Hugh Lessig, Peter Parmantie and Dave White.