Re: RARA-AVIS: FREAKY DEAKY

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 03 Apr 2000

In my opinion, FREAKY DEAKY is the last "okay" Leonard. Most of his really prime stuff was published earlier. I haven't read everything by the man, but I can recommend STICK, 52 PICKUP, LABRAVA (my favorite), and UNKNOWN MAN #89. I've heard that SWAG and CITY PRIMEVAL are also well worth reading.

The point is, don't give up on the guy on the basis of one mediocre book. His early stuff just sings on the page. Right now I'm reading his westerns HOMBRE and VALDEZ IS COMING, and HOMBRE, at least, is excellent. Superior to the movie -- and I like the movie.

doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com