RARA-AVIS: Red Harvest- abandoned by Bertolucci

From: Etienne Borgers ( freeweb@rocketmail.com)
Date: 03 Apr 2000

Film maker Bernardo Bertolucci, able to do first class films (and lower ones...) declared, during an interview I red in a French magazine, that he now definitely has abandoned the project of filming Hammet's "Red Harvest". If I'm not mistaken he was trying to do this film since more than 10 years. Following his own declaration he wanted to underline the political undertones of this novel, amongst other angles.

I do not remember if this was announced here, in R-A.

So, I suppose (?) the film rights for RH are floating around now. I personally should prefer Hollywood forget it, instead of giving it their usual kiss of death, as it occurred so often recently for great HB/Noir novels.

E.Borgers Hard-boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities,com/Athens/6384