Re: RARA-AVIS: Another box of books/ GOLD MEDALS

From: DLM183@aol.com
Date: 29 Mar 2000

There's something very appealing about bringing home a box of interesting books from a thrift store, especially one containing THE BLACK PATH OF FEAR by Cornell Woolrich. I live in Oakland, California but work in San Francisco, where I sometimes visit a store that specializes in vintage paperbacks from the Golden Era or should I say the Gold Medal era. It's like a wonderful museum or gallery. It has all the Willeford, Goodis and Thompson paperbacks you could ever dream of...Manhunt anthologies and other glossy magazines and books on collecting. It's rarefied air in there, but I'm basically just a reader, with somewhat shallow pockets, and only an incidental collector...occasionally there's something I just have to have. So sometimes, when I visit that store/archive I find myself wondering, who are the "Gold Medal" writers of today? I was a thrift store myself recently, I came home with a couple of books by previously unknown authors, A SIMPLE PLAN by Scott Smith and THE JOB by Douglas Kennedy. Although their books are a lot thicker, to me if it were still happening, these guys would be the Gold Medal authors. So my question is: Who among contemporary writers do you think would rate that distinction?
-Dennis