Re: RARA-AVIS: Another box of books

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 29 Mar 2000

I'm a big fan of both of those series by Dennis Lynds. He has a very nice way of working his cultural critique into the fabric of his well-plotted stories. Very rarely is there a lecture like the ones you get in Travis McGee novels, for instance. Which reminds me, I haven't read any of his books under the John Crowe or William Arden names. Are they hardboiled? How are they? Finally, anyone know which Maxwell Grant Shadows he ghosted?

I always enjoyed the Travis McGee series, including the lectures, which I thought fit the character. I prefer the first two-thirds or so of the series to the later ones, but even those are better than many writers' better books.

And I second the endorsement of Ross Macdonald's Lew Archer books and Doomsters is one of the better ones in a great series, right at the corner Macdonald turned when the books became more psychological.

Mark