Re: RARA-AVIS: Hard-Boiled Baseball

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 24 Mar 2000

"T.Kent Morgan" wrote:

> Paul Auster wrote a PBO as Paul Benjamin that features Max Klein as "a tough
> New York shamus who delivers wisecracks as fast as his one-two punch"
> according to the cover. It's been awhile since I read it so I don't know how
> tough Klein is. The book has become very collectible.

It's been reprinted in "Hand to Mouth. A Chronicle of Early Failure", Auster's autobiography, alongside with Auster's attempt to invent a new card game, with the rules of baseball. Or something like that: I've never tried to make sense out of it.

By the way, the writer in "Smoke", the movie written by Auster, is called Paul Benjamin. And the Bronson guy in "Death Wish" is Paul Benjamin! Any more coincidences..?

Juri jurnum@utu.fi