RARA-AVIS: Re: Short Stuff

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@colba.net)
Date: 24 Mar 2000

Paul, my pal from the swampy, soggy south, writes:

>You can start knife fights just by asking people to name the best tec NOVEL
>or SERIES OF NOVELS ever! Asking for the best ss strikes me as an attempt to
>recreate Bosnia closer to home. I got no problem with that, as long as you
>keep it close to YOUR home. We're about theme-parked out down here anyway.
>I'll take door A, Monty. I know when to keep my head down.
>
>Kev's site http://www.colba.net/~kvnsmith/thrillingdetective/ is worth more
>than a casual look, by the way. Just watch out for that short story poll.
>That way lies ruin

Don't pay any attention to the man behind the curtain!

Actually, Paul's right. I'm going to re-jig the questions so it asks for favourites, not the best. Suggestions, not nominations, that's the ticket. I'm not actually interested in ultimate winners, anyway. That's, in fact, why I don't announce winners for the Thrillies, as well. Isn't it usually more fun to read a list of nomineees by informed afficiandos than a list of winners?

But new Ross Macdonald stories? As noted crime fiction critic Homer J. Simpson might say, "Wooohooooo!!!!!"

Too bad, though, they're probably all from the early part of his career, when he was still trying to be Chandler. A short story written post-THE GALTON CASE might be really fascinating. Still, new Macdonald is new Macdonald. Anyone who cares about hard-boiled detective fiction should be jazzed by this news.

And Doug, don't be shy! Tell 'em about Crippen & Landru. Put it in your sig file. Let your colours fly!

Kevin