Re: RARA-AVIS: Comments, please

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 23 Mar 2000

Hey, for once I feel qualified to give some advice! :)

--- southpaw@altavista.net wrote:
> Please tell me which of these might be
> considered must-reads, or
> at least good reads:
>
> John D. MacDonald
> A Bullet For Cinderella
> A Deadly Shade of Gold
> Cry Hard, Cry Fast
> Pale Gray For Guilt

Haven't read CRY HARD, but the rest range from good to excellent. GOLD and GRAY are two of the best Travis McGee books.

> Ross MacDonald
> The Galton Case
> The Underground Man

THE GALTON CASE is an important book historically -- the first book where MacDonald really found his distinctive voice as a writer. UNDERGROUND is also well worth reading.

> Adam Hall
> The Striker Portfolio

This is part of the Quiller series, a very unique British hb spy series. The installments vary in quality -- this one is pretty decent. Good if you like spy stories.

> Brett Halliday
> So Lush, So Deadly
>
> Janwillem Van De Wetering
> The Mind-Murders