Re: RARA-AVIS: Comments, please

From: Greg Swan ( greg@swans.org)
Date: 22 Mar 2000

> John D. MacDonald
> A Bullet For Cinderella

This MacDonald novel is one of my all-time favorites from any writer. MacDonald's talent is considerable. Since this is an early novel, it's tightly edited and written in the Gold Medal vein. MacDonald's later, more expansive writing has it's own merits, but this is better hardboiled writing.

J.D. recycled A Bullet for Cinderella's plot (sans a lot of the noir and hardboiled elements) when he wrote the first Travis McGee novel, Deep Blue Goodbye. (I was going to say that 'I think' the novel's plot was recycled, but finally decided the recycling is too obvious for mere conjecture and chose to claim it as fact. ;-} )

You got a lot of terrific ones, but put this on top.

- Greg Swan