RARA-AVIS: RE:Shane and Lehane

From: Dick Lochte ( dlock@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 21 Mar 2000

About "Shane" and "Pale Rider," both of which seem to have more than a few of the ingredients of film noir, I was pretty much annoyed by the way
"Rider" reused elements of the earlier and better movie. Homage is showing a photo of Bogart in a French gangster movie. Reworking somebody else's creativity is a rip-off, no matter what label you put on it. I was expressing my sentiments to a screenwriter who'd worked on "Shane," and he looked at me, puzzled, and said without a trace of irony or sarcasm, "I didn't think the two movies were anything alike."

Takhoman wrote:

In Lehane's Scared is it plausable that a PI would be injected and kidnapped to meet the man who wants to hire him. The book cost me .25 at Saint Vinnies. By the page a good deal. Can anyone tell me if it gets more plausable as it goes on.

The answer (to my way of thinking) is no. If anything it gets even more unbelievable. Lehane's usually pretty readable, but "Sacred" was off the charts. My guess is that it's the book-a-year stress. Few writers can turn out a decent book a year, Evan Hunter and Lawrence Block being two that come readily to mind. Actually, they've turned out two or more decent books a year. Dick Lochte