Re: RARA-AVIS: Fight scenes

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 21 Mar 2000

I think fiction, both written and filmed have been increasing the details of the aftermath of violence lately. The movie Fight Club (I'm one of the few who liked the movie; is the book good?) certainly shows all of the lingering physical trauma.

It is also one of the main themes of Pelecanos's work -- the impact of violence, on those directly involved, but also about its trickle-down effect. I've been reading Joe Lansdale's Hap and Leonard books of late
(highly, highly recommended). They graphically depict what a beating can do to a man, physically and psychologically. This is not to say there are not still plenty of HB heroes who take punishment like Fearless Fosdick and bounce right back, but there seem to be fewer of these HB supermen or, at least, other, more human ones to balance them out.

Mark