RARA-AVIS: Shane and Pale Rider

From: Enrique Bird ( ebird@gmgroup.com)
Date: 20 Mar 2000

Brian, other friends,

Sorry, but Pale Rider is almost a scene by scene tribute to Shane. Eastwood himself has acknowledged it several times, including when it first came out. He just carries everything to extremes (for instance, the hero has a sexual encounter with the settler's girlfriend [not wife], there are seven gunmen
[not one], and many others.If you watch them 1 or 2 days apart you will notice even more subtle parallels.

As almost everybody who has compared them agrees, Shane is much the superior movie. And, in my humble opinion, for some reason I, who first saw it in a movie theater almost 40 years ago, think that it is one of the greatest
"color" movies ever. I mean color exactly literally!

Enrique F. Bird Pic󊼂R>