RE: RARA-AVIS: Haut's 'Pulp Culture'

From: Frank Glenewinkel ( frank.glenewinkel@Uni-Koeln.DE)
Date: 18 Mar 2000

On 17 Mar 00, at 23:50, John & Carrie wrote:
> Yeah, that was a bonehead mistake that Haut made. But, aside from
> that, Pulp Culture isn't bad. It's very egg-heady if you like that
> sort of stuff.

It's a matter of taste and opinion of course but I was disappointed by the book. To me it was just one more example that a too ideological approach can destroy the most interesting field of research. Egg-heady? I am not sure. My impression was that Haut often takes the easy way out when he is dealing with authors he dislikes. E.g. to classify Spillane seriously as a "fascist" (page 12) seems to be more a triteness (hope that this is the word I am looking for) than a serious approach to me.

Frank

---------------------------------------------------- Frank Glenewinkel frank.glenewinkel@uni-koeln.de