RARA-AVIS: Re: : Les Savage Jr.

From: Duane Spurlock ( duane@emazing.com)
Date: 16 Mar 2000

Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 12:18:53 -0500 From: David Bell < belldj@muohio.edu> Subject: RARA-AVIS: Les Savage Jr.

<<does anyone know about a western writer named Les Savage, Jr?>>

Excellent western writer. Recommended.

First started publishing stories in the pulps in mid-to-late 1940s, moved to paperbacks and hardbacks in the early 1950s. Died young (age in the mid 30s, I think) from health complications (heart and diabetes, I think) after pounding out a bunch of stories and novels.

Most of his novels were expansions of earlier short stories. Not just padded, but expanded in plot and depth of character.

According to Jon Tuska, the agent for Savage's work these days, much of Savage's work was changed by editorial bias in its first appearances. Savage might include something more realistic in his stories than what the editors wanted to include, such as a biracial marriage, and the editors would have the writer change it.

New editions of Savage's novels are appearing now, from the writer's original versions, not the printed versions.

Tuska had an interesting article about Savage in a back issue of Pulp Vault a few years ago, published by Doug Ellis. Check eBay. Maybe ABE carries fanzines as well, I don't know.
-- Duane