Re: RARA-AVIS: HB Westerns

From: pabergin ( pabergin@gte.net)
Date: 14 Mar 2000

Just for the sake of making some noise -- it's been kinda quiet lately -- I'd like to suggest a hardboiled western (very hardboiled, marginally a western) that nobody's mentioned yet, Alejandro Jodorowski's (sp?)superbly twisted EL TOPO. I've not seen the film in over 25 years (I understand it's all tied up with the Alan Klein/Paul McCartney/Apple Corps/Linda Eastman litigation that started back when there were still four Beatles and is evidentially still unresolved -- at least my video store doesn't have it), but at the time it took my breath away, and I wasn't the only one. Really. There was NO conversation among people leaving the theatre after the screening I attended. None. I've heard more idle chatter at funerals. Creepy.

I don't know how it would play today. I'd like a chance to see it again and judge for myself. Or maybe not. Drugs were more plentiful -- and more accepted -- back then. When it comes to EL TOPO, they may be more appropriate than popcorn. PB