RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V3 #131

From: CraigET@aol.com
Date: 13 Mar 2000

K B Smith writes:

<< But, so as to not wander too far off topic, can anyone think of some
 of the best hardboiled or noirish westerns. I don't just mean violent. >>

Any of Leone's spaghetti westerns, but especially "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly," and "Once Upon a Time in the West." Also "Valdez is Coming" (although I definitely prefer Leonard's book to the movie--here's one ripe for a remake) and "The Wild Bunch."

And that Clint Eastwood movie where he plays the lawman who comes to teach the cowardly town a lesson. Can't think of the name off the top of my head.

Lastly, regarding Walter Hill westerns, I also enjoyed "Wild Bill." The last one I saw was a Yojimbo remake ("Last Man Standing") starring Bruce Willis. Interesting in parts, but didn't hang together all that well.

Craig Thornton from Deep in the Heart of Texas