Re: RARA-AVIS: Recently Read -- Jonathan Latimer

From: Mark Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 12 Mar 2000

 Doug Bassett:

> Well, you must've discussed Latimer before I came on
> board. As for SOLOMON'S VINEYARD, somehow I got a hold
> of a Blue Murder UK paperback reprint of the book. I'm
> pretty sure it's the unexpurgated version (although
> someone please remind me -- what was cut in the
> American version?)

Doug, From the 1988 International Polgonics pb:

Solomon's Vineyard has never been available to the general public in its author's own country.(A highly expurgated version entitled The Fifth Grave was offered in the US in 1950's, but until now the complete text has only apperared in a privately printed limited edition.) The probable reason apparant in the novel's first sentence, SV was too realistic for a prewar America which routinely cenored films and on occasion banned books.

In an introduction it says the book as The Fifth Grave was toned down and softened.

When I read it last year I didn't see anythig that would cause censoring, but that was almost fifty years later.
    Mark