Re: RARA-AVIS: RE: Rex Stout and Nero Wolfe movies

From: pabergin ( pabergin@gte.net)
Date: 08 Mar 2000

Dick Lochte writes:
>He mentioned that
>Columbia Pictures once optioned a couple of the books with the idea of
using
>Humphrey Bogart and Sidney Greenstreet.

Why does everybody automatically think of either Welles or Greenstreet when fantasy-casting the part of Wolfe? Sidney's girth? Welles' genius (and girth)?

My vote would go to the late Victor Buono. He had the bulk, but more importantly he had the VOICE. Guy could go from a whisper to a roar in a single sentence. Just like Wolfe.

This is silly as hell, of course, but I don't think there's a single fan of the Wolfe stories out there who hasn't spent at least some time casting his movie of his fave NW adventure. It just sort of happens; the character invites it. Silly, but fun. PB