Re: RARA-AVIS: nero wolfe

From: Jim Beaver ( JUMBLEJIM@prodigy.net)
Date: 07 Mar 2000

> What's a good place to start reading Nero Wolfe? I always had the
impression
> that his books were cozies in the Agatha Christia style, but it sounds
like
> I was mistaken. If it's a Holmes/HB blend, that's just to my taste.

I'm a hard-boiled fanatic whose only forays outside the subset is Holmes and Wolfe. I'd say start with the first Wolfe (Fer-de-Lance?) and work through. I don't think it makes a LOT of difference, though I warn you not to read the last one (FAMILY AFFAIR?) until last, since there's a twist involved that will affect your feelings for all that have come before.

BTW, according to Baring-Gould, I think, Wolfe was Holmes's illegitimate son, or some such. At least he provided some amusing interconnections in his book on Wolfe.

Jim Beaver