Re: RARA-AVIS: The American Way (was serial killers)

From: Mark Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 04 Mar 2000

 Words from the Monastery <anthony.dauer:

> "Silence of the Lambs" is written by one of the most critically aclaimed
> authors of our time. What you're complaining about is actually the reality
> of the psychopath or more acurrately the serial killer

I'll try to explain for a third time. I have never read Harris and know Silence of the Lambs from the movie. I never said I doubted the reality of the psycopath/serial killer. What I object to is an author who has one has no need to construct a book that has plot, motivation and logic all carefully worked out so they hang together and are reasonable. This may can be absent in the psycopath/serial killer book. In reading something that has been carefully constructed a reader can feel as the book progresses that one incident is the result of what has gone before, and the book makes internal sense. What I am complaining about is the author who uses the psycopath/serial killer as a sort of wild card allowing the writer to forget about all this careful work by in effect saying to himself about his villain. "He's crazy. He may do anything so anything can happen." Mark .