RARA-AVIS: RE: Joseph Conrad

From: Dick Lochte ( dlock@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 04 Mar 2000

 All this talk about Joseph Conrad is interesting. But it seems to be a little off point. Unless in a five-degrees-of way, we might note that Conrad's "The Confidential Agent" was turned into a movie (a pretty good one, I think, in spite of reports to the contrary) in which Lauren Bacall was so miscast Jack Warner felt he had to screw around with "The Big Sleep" by giving her more footage to re-establish her as a star. The rarely-seen original version of "Sleep" (now on DVD) has a scene in the DA's office that makes the whole film a little more coherent. It was replaced by a painfully cute Bogart-Bacall chat over cocktails that may have been the influence for some of the Spencer-Susan dialogues.

Dick Lochte