RE: RARA-AVIS: Coppola (was Conrad/Hemingway)

From: Engel, Len Prof. ( Len.Engel@quinnipiac.edu)
Date: 03 Mar 2000

Mark,

        I agree completely; I thought The Conversation was terrific; and the first Godfather, a fine film. Len Engel

-----Original Message----- From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net [mailto: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net] Sent: Friday, March 03, 2000 1:08 PM To: rara-avis@icomm.ca Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Coppola (was Conrad/Hemingway)

Etienne wrote:

"It's not Apocalypse Now (Coppola) that will render justice to Conrad- this is on my book as one of the most unjustified inflation of a mediocre film (some good shots here and there)of modern cinema. I'm even thinking that Coppola (with all his craftsmanship) is an inflated author- the Godfather things are just good for a general audience thinking its a kind of Italian version of 'Dallas'."

Although I believe it's a flawed masterpiece, I agree that Apocalypse Now is not Heart of Darkness and that it falls apart once they get up the river. I am a fan of the first two Godfathers.

However, I think Coppola's best picture is the one he made between the Godfathers, The Conversation. Gene Hackman is the best in the bugging business, but he's becoming disillusioned. He still believes in professionalism and can't help being proud of how he accomplished his latest surveillance, but he is developing pangs of conscience over the uses to which his tapes might be put. Excellent noir character study.

Hackman is also great as a PI in Night Moves.

Mark