Re: RARA-AVIS: Pay for weight

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 03 Mar 2000

Dave,

Gotta agree with you about Exile, one of the great rock albums.

But I've got a question about this $6 regardless of page-count price that maybe someone in the biz can answer -- Does the author of a short book get the same compensation as the author of a long book? Now I know there are all sorts of variables like reputation and past sales, but for the sake of argument, let's say we are talking about two equally popular mid-list authors.

I'm guessing the book biz is like most other pop culture industries in that the actual physical cost of production (how many trees have to be pulped for the book) is one of the smallest and most consistent costs in the grand bookkeeping scheme, falling way behind promotion, company profits and, if there's anything left over, paying the author.

Anyone know?

Mark