RARA-AVIS: Re: Ellery Queen

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@colba.net)
Date: 03 Mar 2000

Speaking of Queen, I found out a little more about him/them/it yesterday.

He may have originally been Frederic Dannay and Manfred B. Lee; but by the sixties, he was also evidently a very profitable house pseudonym. Among the authors who "were" Ellery Queen were Talmage Powell, Richard Deming (him again!), Fletcher Flora, Edward D. Hoch, Gil Brewer, Stephen Marlowe, Jack Vance, Walter J. Sheldon, Henry Kane and Charles W. Runyon. Not a bad list. Sounds like the right hand side of the Table of Contents in an issue of MANHUNTor something, huh?

And Dave, don't worry about saying dumb things. If I were sued for every dumb thing I said, I'd be in court all the time. Just ask anyone here. Thanks for the plug, too.

And hey, I like English teachers-- it's English professors who often seem to need a swift kick. God bless you, Mrs. Ticehurst, wherever you are.

Kevin Burton Smith The Thrilling Detective Web Site http://www.colba.net/~kvnsmith/thrillingdetective/ This month: The P.I. Poll on Short Fiction, plus new stuff from Hugh Lessig, Peter Parmantie and Dave White.