Re: RARA-AVIS: freaky deaky

From: a.n.smith ( ansmith@netdoor.com)
Date: 02 Mar 2000

> 'Freaky Deaky' is easily the worst Leonard I've read, and actually reads
as
> if written by some pale imitator. The characters are all cliches
> (hippy-turned-yuppy, hippy who can't keep off the LSD, eccentric
> millionaire), and the plot and dialogue are just plain dull. What a
> disappointment.

When Dutch signed my copy of Freaky Deaky last year, he kind of lit up when he saw the book and said, "Hey, that's one where I first started using all the musical references. Good book."

Guess he liked it more than you did.

I think Be Cool and Cuba Libre gave me the feeling you're talking about, but FD still seemed to have something nice going for it at the point he wrote it.

Neil Smith