RARA-AVIS: Dewey and Deming

From: Dick Lochte ( dlock@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 01 Mar 2000

>"Bill Denton was dead, and lucky to be dead. He had been very badly
>used."

When I was singing the praises of Thomas Dewey I didn't realize how big an influence he's been on some of today's writers. JaneC mentioned Richard Deming. I'm not familiar with the book she listed, but I remember a series he wrote that, as best I can recall, was pretty entertaining. "The Gallows in my Garden," "Tweak the Devil's Nose" and
"Whistle Past the Graveyard." They feature Manville Moon, a wise-cracking Midwestern private detective. Moon appeared in a couple of short stories in Manhunt. Deming also wrote at least one book, "Hit and Run," about an ex-cop turned PI named Barney Calhoun who is a little more serious about his work than Moon.
 Dick Lochte