Re: RARA-AVIS: Fight Club

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 29 Feb 2000

I'm a great admirer of FIGHT CLUB -- both the novel and the movie, which I thought was one of the best films of 1999. I'm not sure if FC is hardboiled or not, but I'm certainly willing to consider the idea. It certainly has the requisite focus on the underbelly of society, as well as the essentially romantic idea of a charismatic individual leading us through the minefields. The very overt political themes are a little unusual at first, but the more I think about it the more I realize that the hb approach has been used before as a way to critique American society: Himes and Spillane come to mind, as well as, more subtly, Ross Macdonald.

The one non-hb element in the book, I think, is the language -- it's a very ambitiously literary book with a diffracted storyline, post-modern attitudes, etc. For me the straightforward hb "style" is an important part of the hb approach.

Both the book and the movie are highly recommended.

doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com