Re: RARA-AVIS: Connelly

From: Etienne Borgers ( freeweb@rocketmail.com)
Date: 29 Feb 2000

> No to serial murders. One of those "American
> fascinations" that bore me to
> death (and I'm American). Characters matter. I
> want smaller scale stories
> to be the future of crime writing. Enough with
> conspiricies and serial
> killers!
>
> Neil Smith

I couldn't agree more with this. I already advocate this point of view on the list in other occasions.

Serial killer is now to American HB/Noir lit what special effects explosions are to contemporary Ameican cinema: a pure nuisance, a bore and an excuse to try to capture a non informed audience...

The worst: psycho SK + supra natural explanations
... Once in a while, why not... but constantly!!! Bad news for this kind of public: evil'R Us! but, hey, that's what Hollywood try to escape from since the last 15 years or so. It's entertainment, isn't it?

E.Borgers Hard-Boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384