RARA-AVIS: Re: On Sallis:

From: Paul Hartshorne ( paul@day1.demon.co.uk)
Date: 28 Feb 2000

a.n.smith wrote:

>On Sallis:
>
>He does experiment in each Griffin novel, very literary stuff, but the
>experiment is always different. I also think his South and New Orleans are
>more realistically portrayed than the romantic approach of too many mystery
>writers.
>
>The Long Legged Fly is the first Griffin novel, and it is a structural
>marvel, very fractured, not even telling one coherent story--much like
Moth,
>but even less together. I love the mess. More people should try stories
>like that.

The whole Lew Griffin series (THE LONG-LEGGED FLY, MOTH, BLACK HORNET, EYE OF THE CRICKET, BLUEBOTTLE) is experimental. The books can be read in any order, being non-linear not only within each novel, but also within series. Details are added to events from early books and events occassionally contradict each other. This just adds to my enjoyment of the series.

Paperback editions should be available in the U.S. (my copy of MOTH is a U.S. paperback bought at Murder One prior to it's No Exit U.K. publication), and are recommended!

- Paul H.