RARA-AVIS: Tidyman

From: kip.stratton@ni.com
Date: 28 Feb 2000

Good question about Tidyman. I just spent a few minutes searching the Internet
(instead of working) and couldn't find much about him, except that he wrote a number of novels (including a series of Shaft books) and at least one true crime book. Apparently the film SHAFT was based on Tidyman's novel of the same name. He also wrote the screenplay for HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER and won the Academy Award for the screenplay of THE FRENCH CONNECTION. But is he African American? Don't know. I found one interesting quote about him: "Tidyman was sort of a less-skilled version of Chester Himes." Apparently he is alive, now in his early 70s. He has a writing credit for the new SHAFT starring Samuel L. Jackson.

Kip

BTW -- My copy of Edward Bunker's new memoir, EDUCATION OF A FELON, arrived in the mail last week, so it should be on the shelves. I haven't had a chance to dip into it.