Re: RARA-AVIS: What I've been reading

From: a.n.smith ( ansmith@netdoor.com)
Date: 27 Feb 2000

On Sallis:

He does experiment in each Griffin novel, very literary stuff, but the experiment is always different. I also think his South and New Orleans are more realistically portrayed than the romantic approach of too many mystery writers.

The Long Legged Fly is the first Griffin novel, and it is a structural marvel, very fractured, not even telling one coherent story--much like Moth, but even less together. I love the mess. More people should try stories like that.

He does a lot of academic work, has finished a bio of Himes, has quite a few books coming out this year, and I *hear* (rumor, rumor) the next Griffin book is the last of the series. Recently had a short story on Mississippi Review Web, not crime but literary.

Great writer.

Neil Smith