RARA-AVIS: Re: PI sexuality

From: Mark Troy ( metroy@tamu.edu)
Date: 25 Feb 2000

Kevin Burton Smith wrote:
>remember correctly, Liza Cody's Anna Lee was a pretty tough little
>cookie, in a hard-bitten Brit sorta way, certainly not the soft,
>warm, gooey at the centre, friend to all living things creature too
>many female-written female eyes try to be.

Cody's Eva Wylie makes Anna Lee seem soft by comparison. Eva is not a PI, though she is in security of sorts -- she's the night guard, along with two nasty dogs, of a junkyard. Her chosen profession is wrestling, but she's not a jiggling WWF bimbo. She's big and ugly. When she needs a vehicle, she steals it.

Another tough babe with a high-powered sex drive is Sherry, the protag in Vicki Hendricks's Miami Purity. I doubt she'll be back in another book, but maybe Hendricks can give us another tough character.

As for male writers, I'd like to see Lansdale do more with Brett Sawyer.

Mark

Mark Troy http://www.tamu.edu/marshome/staff_pages/murder.html http://www.tamu.edu/marshome/staff_pages/Mark.html

Kill Leader, Plots With Guns, Winter 2000 Homewreckers, Nefarious - Tales of Mystery, December 1999 The Montressor Hit, Murderous Intent Mystery Magazine, Fall 1999 Winner of the Edgar Allen Poe Sesquicentennial Homage Award