Re: RARA-AVIS: Coincidence

From: Anders Engwall ( Anders.Engwall@uab.ericsson.se)
Date: 18 Feb 2000

"Timothy S. Oliver":

> I've been reading McBain's The Last Dance. Time and again the crew at the
> 87th consider coincidence a normal factor in police work. I've always
> considered it a nearly universal theme in crime fiction that there's no such
> thing as coincidence.

Maybe it's just McBain himself that has a thing for coincidence, as he has used it at least twice as a major plot device; in
'TIL DEATH and FUZZ. Also, the perpetrator in HE WHO HESITATES was caught in a later novel (can't recall which one) by coincidence when the 87th guys were working on a completely unrelated case.