Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: H-B WAR RECORDS / yes, for some writers

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 16 Feb 2000

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Etienne Borgers wrote:

> > > It got me wondering how many hard-boiled writers
> > had been in
> > >combat.
> One of the main examples was John D Mc Donald who
> served in the OSS, collecting intelligence in the Far
> East (WW2),

Alan Caillou AKA Alan Lyle-Smythe was in the British Intelligence during the war, at first in Palestine and then in Yugoslavia, where he organized with the partisans (Tito's or someone else's, I don't know). Caillou was the cover name he used in operations and he thought it had made him lucky, so he changed the name and became an author and an actor. There's a complete biography of Caillou in IMDB.

Juri jurnum@utu.fi