RARA-AVIS: The Oxford Companion to Crime & Mystery Writing

From: John & Carrie ( johncarrie@sprynet.com)
Date: 14 Feb 2000

Just bought this and it's not bad. However, I detect something of a general refusal to acknowledge a lot of the American paperback writers such as Willeford, Goodis, Horace McCoy,and the like, although they do cover Jim Thompson, Patricia Highsmith and James M. Cain. I dunno...is it just me or do the British (inasmuch as I can assume British since it is an Oxford Companion)seem to not take seriously the role of the Goodis' of the world in the development of crime fiction?

Hmmm, I apologize if this is considered off topic.

Tribe