RARA-AVIS: Long Books

From: Bill Crider ( abc@wt.net)
Date: 11 Feb 2000

Speaking of long books, as we were, a couple of weeks ago I was in a Half-Price Books in Houston and saw a stack of an edition of Charles Willeford's WILD WIVES, published by ReSearch Publications in 1987. I bought one because my copy of the Beacon edition is so brittle I've never read it. It checks in at 102 pages. Hard, fast, not a wasted word. But I'll bet it would never be published today. But then Willeford had to sell it to Beacon in the first place, so I guess none of the other houses would take it even in the '50s.

Bill Crider