RARA-AVIS: Long Books

From: Kent Johnson ( kjohnson@slip.net)
Date: 10 Feb 2000

I was thoroughly disgusted this past year with the way publishers are requiring authors to pad their novels. It's particularly bad in the fantasy genre. Great authors who used to write one-volume novels are now padding them out to multi-volume epics. Why sell one book, the publishers reason, when you can sell three or four instead? I find that it makes for excruciating reading and have given up reading some of my most favorite authors (George R.R. Martin, Guy Gavriel Kay, etc.).