RARA-AVIS: American pragmatism? Sounds Greek to me

From: Frederick Zackel ( fzackel@wcnet.org)
Date: 10 Feb 2000

I caught the last two hours of PBS' The Greeks: Crucible of Civilization last night, especially the last forty minutes about Pericles' screwball scheme to whup the Spartans and about Socrates' last meal of hemlock. I'm listening to the announcer rattling on about Socrates -- who could have apologized and probably gotten off -- deciding his own personal code of behavior was so right, he could face death calmly and cheer up the people weeping for him. I felt like I was listening to rara-avis talking about the Op, or Spade, or Marlowe . . .

So Sam Spade is the Son of Socrates?

Hmmm.

Best wishes

Frederick Zackel