Re: RARA-AVIS: Marcia Muller and long books

From: Mark Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 10 Feb 2000

Jim Doherty asks:

> And now that I think about it, I didn't like Richard Stark's *Butcher's
Moon* as
> well as the shorter Parker novels that led up to it. I haven't read
*Comeback* or
> *Backflash* yet. How do they stand up?

When this was discussed I said I still liked the old stripped down Parkers best, but others felt his new longer books showed his growth as a writer.

To me it's interesting that Westlake is best known to the general public for his light humorous books, yet as Stark and Coe as well as some of his early books, The Ax and the screenplay of the Grifters, he never reveals a streak of romance or sentimentality that is present in most who are better known as hard boiled athors..
 Mark