Re: RARA-AVIS: Noir Horror?

From: Mark Sullivan ( AnonymeInc@WEBTV.NET)
Date: 09 Feb 2000

BobT wrote:

"Laymon is more hardboiled, but there's a strong streak of romantic sentimentality in his work. Maybe all the blood in your eyes is blinding you to those elements. Ketchum is . . . romantic . . . Garton, . . . pretty romantic, and . . . Poppy Z. Brite's EXQUISITE CORPSE is highly romantic, sentimental and emotional at its core."

I read very little horror (although a few of the descriptions in this debate have me intrigued), so I can't comment on the specific examples, but the gist seems to be that horror is romantic, hardboiled is not.

Then I guess we should stop discussing Chandler. What could possibly be more romantic than the image of the tarnished knight walking down those mean streets?

Mark