Re: RARA-AVIS: tricks

From: Jeanheller@aol.com
Date: 08 Feb 2000

As long as I'm here watching for answers to my inquiry -- and thanks to all who have replied and those who will reply later -- I was struck by the discussion of using adverbs to describe a speaker's mood or inflection.

I don't know about the rest of you, but on the occasions I slip and use an adverb, I always feel like I'm writing a Tom Swifty, i.e., "Will someone please turn on some lights,'' Tom asked darkly.

I don't claim I have never let an adverb slip into the attribution of a quote in my books, but I try to keep it as rare as possible.

Jean Heller