Re: RARA-AVIS: Eyes and colors . . . maybe

From: Timothy S. Oliver ( CSEM@zianet.com)
Date: 08 Feb 2000

Zomboy wrote:

> Have you noticed Hard-boiled writers insistence on giving characters
(usually
> women) unnatural eye color? Like purple or gray? I've also noticed that
the
> covers (wonderful as they are) often get the eye color, and sometimes the
> hair color wrong?

You hit a nerve here. I've never seen purple, or violet eyes, except from tinted contacts. I guess Liz Taylor is supposed to have violet eyes. Maybe. Every time I see a description of a woman with purple eyes, I have a tough time getting through the rest of the book. Keep waiting for the guy with fingers like sausages. Usually he comes right along.

Maybe Liz Taylor has fingers like sausages....

Anyone else have an overworn literary metaphor or desription that grates?

Tim Oliver