Re: RARA-AVIS: Noir Horror?

From: Mark Sullivan ( AnonymeInc@WEBTV.NET)
Date: 05 Feb 2000

Phil wrote:

All we need is to get Spade bitten by a vampire so he could investigate his own murder. I think Cairo, Gutman and Wilmer would all look *great* in black capes..."

Now there's a gothic I would read.

I haven't read much gothic, but it seems to me that Hjortsberg's Fallen Angel (made into Angel Heart) and most, if not all of Chesbro's Mongo series would fall into the overlap between noir and gothic. It seems to me that that would also describe the TV show Forever Knight and the often recommended Laurell Hamilton (okay, I bought a copy, but I haven't gotten aroudn toe reading it yet.

As far as Southern Gothic goes, I have no problem seeing Flannery O'Connor as noir and possibly hardboiled.

Mark