Re: RARA-AVIS: The Numbers Game

From: Bob Toomey ( btoomey@javanet.com)
Date: 04 Feb 2000

Bill Crider wrote:

> >I just knew that someone would come up with a number when I asked this
> >question. So why was the fourth installment entitled "The 19th Murder?"
> >
> >BobT
>
> Bob: That's what I get for trusting my rapidly failing memory. So I
> checked my figures. I don't know about the murders, but there are 26
> killings of one kind or another. Which, I think I may have said earlier,
> is about half the number in KING SUCKERMAN.

I understand the body count was even higher in the Black Mask version of RED HARVEST. Somewhere I read that Blanche Knopf told Hammett to cut back on the bloodshed for book publication. Be nice if someone put out Hammett's original text. I'd love to read it. But them, I'm a bit blood simple myself.

BobT