Re: RARA-AVIS: Professionals and Amateurs

From: WordRunner@aol.com
Date: 04 Feb 2000

Hi Mark,
    I doubt that I can name any "successful" series protagonists like the one's I've described, except perhaps for Easy Rawlins, Socrates Fortlow, and the "over the edge" protagonists of Elmore Leonard. As Leonard has acknowledged, "all of those books are really about the same guy." What I was pointing to was not the stories that have been done, but the stories that I believe will be done.
    For all of the reasons others have stated here in the past couple of days, it gets tougher all the time to have a series professional carry the torch for the hard-boiled loner. My bet is that many, if not most, of the best new series work will be done with central characters who unabashedly straddle the legal and moral line.

                                    Jim Blue