Re: RARA-AVIS: King Suckerman

From: Anders Engwall ( Anders.Engwall@uab.ericsson.se)
Date: 03 Feb 2000

Bill Crider:

> I think KING SUCKERMAN is this month's book, and I was reminded of it by
> the discussion of brand names in someone's posting. I don't think I've
> ever seen so many brand names, band names, and song titles in a single
> book. I know Pelecanos was trying to convey a time and a place, but I
> got a little tired of the "he turned up the V on the big {brand name) stereo"
> sentences.

As for all the musical references, I didn't mind at all. After all, there is a record shop right in the middle of the plot and several of the main characters are pretty obsessive about music - they are a bit like the guys in Nick Hornby's HIGH FIDELITY. Another plus is that Pelecanos doesn't cheat -- he doesn't restrict his references to music that is considered hip *today*, and neither does he mention stuff that hardly anyone knew about in 1976 but has since achieved status of classics. For instance, throughout the book I more or less expected Pelecanos to mention the first Ramones album, but he never did.

There's a lot of basketball in there, too. I guess that's Pelecanos' personal interest showing through.