RARA-AVIS: Last Hammett Red Harvest Day

From: Mbdlevin@aol.com
Date: 31 Jan 2000

I meant to comment earlier when the book of the month was being discussed more heavily. Since, it's the end of the month, I'll just throw in my two bits. Incidentally, I reread Red Harvest last Fall, so it's not crystal clear. The one thing that struck me (and I mean to be a lttle provocative) is that the Op is a little different than he is in the stories. Maybe it's the magnitude of the case, but Hammett does try to do something more with his detective, I think. It seems like the Op goes a little nuts ("blood simple" is his term). He does more than just bucking what the Old Man would want and actually fuels the violence with somewhat shaky justification (maybe). Are there stories where the Op goes off the deep end in a similar way? Duggan? Doherty? --The other Doug