Re: RARA-AVIS: Pelecanos Boost

From: a.n.smith ( ansmith@netdoor.com)
Date: 29 Jan 2000

Then the publisher wanted that book pushed. However it happened, that's fine. I mean, earlier in his career, Pelecanos had these St. Martin's books with no paperback follow-ups, just left to flounder. And Little, Brown has been really low key as far as promoting the others, it seems to me. So to see that someone thinks Shame the Devil should be promoted in this way means they're not content to let him slip by anymore. He has made shuch a strong reputation based on the writing instead of hype that he was able to build a career over time in this day and age where first novels get so much attention and become "make or break" books, your one shot to sell or else not really get another chance. I prefer the old fashioned find your audience over the course of a few books way.

Neil Smith